May 8, 2011

Garden Start Photos

I'm finding I like photo blogs. Hope you do too.

Cabbage




Tiny Genovese Basil

Almost all our garden starts + some yummy Pantry Garden Herbs Sweet Basil

My cat Benjy
Did you notice the white, flaky dots on the plant leaves? It is called DE, which is short for diatomaceous earth. I don't know the details for it, but its a diatom from a tiny, microscopic organism. When an insect lands on the plant and ingests this, the DE literally rips up the insides of the bug and kills it. My late Grandma Laycock who lived up North in WI mixed this with her water and sprayed it on her plants....the bugs wouldn't go near her organic garden. They'd get a few inches away, and then leave. I saw it with my own eyes. All-natural herbicide and pesticide. Yes ma'am, yes sir you better believe it. :-)

We also use it to de-worm our chickens, help with illnesses, preventing chigger bites, and it's in our face wash and toothpaste. We also lightly dust all our cans, bags and buckets in our food pantry in the basement with DE. Keeps the bugs out of it and from burrowing into the bags & eating our food.

In Christ alone....who shed His blood on the cross for my sins, and rose up again from the dead victorious,
Kendle Laycock

"The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment