February 19, 2011

Fried Brain to Order

"The effect of a crisp highly-starched muslin dress upon a man of quick emotions is rapid and startling. The first impulse is to crush it between the arms, and crumple it up like a silverpaper balloon; but such desires cannot be indulged without the excuse of an affectionate embrace sanctioned by the parents of the young lady.Is it not beautiful to gaze on the female form, clouded in fluttering gauze, and floating over the ground white and aerial as a puff of steam? Through the transparent skirt the embroidered petticoat displays its costly work, and the machinery of the little feet may be watched as under a glass-case, with increasing interest. The shoulders are seen through the slight haze of the bodice, and they are delicately fair."

Augustus Mayhew, Faces for Fortunes, 1865

All month I had been looking forward to dance practice, workday at the Sullivan's house, and contra dancing at an awards banquet. I had been experiencing headaches, low energy, backaches, and discovered I had a high fever that we figured out was the flu. So, I'm staying at home taking supplements and foods with high nutritional value. Very unproductive two days...one of the things I detest the most is unproductivity. Here's what I did Tuesday.
My cotton petticoat freshly washed and air-dried. ^^^
I went on to boil a large amount of starch with water on the stove till boiling, let that cool and then dumped into the sink. Immersed petti into starch and massaged into petti. Proceeded to wring out the extra starch, which was very heavy and thick, and then hung to dry. Was supposed to go in every couple of hours to pull apart petti from itself so it wouldn't glue together...but was stranded at a friend's house because of super-heavy fog. Took me 20 minutes to pull apart every little fold of this petti and the bottom of my other petticoat.  Dried for a day and a half.
Sprinkled with water and ironed. Stiffer before ironing, but still good. After wringing out a heavy petticoat (big workout!) and ironing, I can understand fully why it took women from the 1850's two-three days to do this. Worth it though....I have more width under my dress. Will post pictures when I wear my dress.
What do I do when I get sick? Here's some things that Dr. Mercola suggests that my family has done for years:     http://www.mercola.com/
Vitamin C: A very potent antioxidant; use a ntural form such as acerola, which contains associated micronutrients.
Oregano Oil: The higher the carvacrol concentration, the more effective it is. Carvacrol is the most active antimicrobial agent in orgeano oil.
Propolis: Bee resin is one the most broad-spectrum antimicrobial compounds in the world; propolis is also the richest source of caffeic acid and apigenin, two very important compounds that aid in immune response and even fight cancer.
A tea made from a combination of elderflower, yarrow, boneset, linden, peppermint, and ginger; drink it hot and often for combating a cold or flu. It causes you to sweat, which is helpful for eradicating a virus from your system.
Olive leaf extract:  Ancient Egyptians and Mediterranean cultures used it for a variety of health-promoting uses and it is widely known as a natural, non-toxic immune system builder.

For the flu, I also use peroxide in ears, royal jelly, Vitamin C, liquid D, coconut oil, BronchoPhase, ImmunoPhase, Virastop, juices high in ORAC, (cherry, goji) Black seed oil, and homepathic pills. Used to use colloidal silver in nebulizer, but now just use 5/1 radio water and peroxide. (helps break down gunk in lungs)

Mom prohibited me from doing anything with major thinking involved, so my two favorite things, reading and playing the piano, were out. Watched Food Network all day, and now am craving fresh, savory Mexican food. Please hop into my mouth, oh yummy heirloom tomatoes and fresh cilantro!

In Christ Alone,
Kendle

"Salvation is by works....the works of God." Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment